Transport Working Group
Our Transport group considers how we can travel around while minimising our carbon emissions.
Key achievements to date have included:
• Mobilising people across Shropshire to take part in the Local Cycling & Walking Infrastructure Plan (LCWIP) and Bus Back Better consultations
• Building consultation and liaison with leading specialists, councils, and environmental groups
• Input to critical transport initiatives including Agile Streets, North West Road, Shrewsbury Big Town Plan, Campaign for 20mph speed limits, etc
• Establishing a list of EV owners who are happy to be consulted by those considering switching
Looking ahead we need to:
• Recruit more group members
• Increase dialogue with the councils and local businesses
• Focus on the issues of the moment, e.g. Local Transport Plans, Public transport and active travel, Carbon consequences of road building, building capacity to support EV rollout, etc
• Improve the co-ordination of action across Shropshire and beyond
• Be a catalyst for a mass movement raising concerns about initiatives that add CO2 emissions
• Build stronger links between transport and spatial planning (Many new housing developments located in the countryside or on the outskirts of towns are adding to congestion, carbon emissions and are trapping communities into car-dependence)
Whether you’d like to volunteer on any of our projects across Shropshire, or you have a little time to spare to volunteer with Zero Carbon Shropshire and support us with things like publicity, events, social media and administration, we’d be delighted to hear from you. Simply drop us a line and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.