Our Buildings group aims to address the climate crisis by promoting energy-efficient buildings in Shropshire.
To date, the group has led or participated in many projects including:
• A Shropshire Energy Map showing the potential in the county for renewable energy (led by the Energy group)
• The Green Open Doors event, allowing the public to explore energy efficient local homes
• Distributing household advice leaflets through Coop stores
• Reviewing local planning applications to ensure they are sustainable
• Working with Shropshire Council and its partners on a heat network in Shrewsbury to harness the heat generated by the
• Battlefield incinerator
• Working with Shropshire Council to promote energy efficient schools across the county
• Supporting the Marches Energy Agency (MEA) on a major retrofit project for local homes, based on a grant of £250-£500K to build retrofit capacity within the county
Looking ahead, our intent is to continue with key projects including:
• The heat network in Shrewsbury
• Repeating the Green Doors event
• Continuing to monitor planning applications
• Providing expertise and leadership to the MEA retrofit work
• Decarbonisation plans for several educational establishments
• Our Buildings group aims to address the climate crisis by promoting energy-efficient buildings in Shropshire.
And we’ll be improving engagement with our partners, and recruiting more expertise to the team.
Whether you’d like to volunteer on any of our projects or groups across Shropshire, or you have a little time to spare to volunteer with Zero Carbon Shropshire and support us with things like publicity, events, social media and administration, we’d be delighted to hear from you. Simply drop us a line and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.